Coming into 2011, I was feeling frumpy and tired of being fat. I had been training for over 2 years for half marathons having completed 4 races. I was improving overall with pace & time but I didn't improve enough to keep my competitive side happy. I've said this before, but around the same time PAI Yoga & Fitness ran a deal through Living Social for some classes, a nutrition plan & a fitness assessment. It was a no brainer for me as I knew I needed to step up my workouts if I wanted to lose weight. PAI worked for me because it was a small gym, I didn't feel lost when I walked in the door or overwhelmed and over the last year, I feel like I've made friends. The nutrition plans were just what I needed to get on track & eat right. Success started following and I began to fall in love with working out. I feel like I can honestly call myself an athlete and really feel like one now.
I am heading to PAI on Monday for my follow-up fitness assessment to checkpoint where I am but my Wii Fit which I have been using to weigh in over the last year said I am down 41 lbs and my BMI is in the "normal" range but just barely. We'll see what Monday brings.
This year has been one of the best years of my life. I've finally learned how to have a work/life balance and I no longer live to work - I work to live. Difficult for me to do. I thought I'd share 11 awesome things that happened to me in 2011.
1. I became a coach for the walking group with Marathoners In Training and saw several walkers through their first races this year. I was inspired by all of them and learned a lot from them. I am coaching again for the next season and I look forward to more inspiration.
|Maryanne, me & Mary before the Columbus Half|
|I am on the left side of the picture, 3rd from front.|
|Ready to raft!|
3. I traveled to see my sister and her family in Belgium for a week. While there, we spent some time in Paris & I got to see many of the sites I never thought I'd see for the first time. I am dying to go back and do the 10 mile run from Paris to Versailles that my sister got to do.
|The Arc de Triomphe|
|Trying to look skinnier by putting the leg out.|
|Dirty but waiting for another trek|
5. I bought a road bike and started training! We named her Trudy and I took her out for my longest distance - 25 miles - in August after an MIT workout. Had a great time! I enjoyed riding her and plan on trying to do a sprint triathalon. I may drown during the swim portion but maybe not!
|The trick was using Steve's snorkel & not the provided ones!|
8. I became friends with an awesome group of MITers called the Lucky 13s. I don't run but they accept me as a walker. I enjoyed attending their Christmas party & look forward to growing my friendship with all of them in 2012 and beyond.
|Awesome group of people!|
|In Aruba November 2011|
10. I started to work from home giving me more time to exercise and connect with my pups!
|Glad I am home more often!|
11. Made some awesome friends, connected with new people, enjoyed life more. Even my relationship with Steve has changed - for the better.
|After the Oktoberfest.|
|Inside Fontein Cave in Aruba|
I don't honestly make resolutions each year. As my friend Sarah said on her blog - " if you must make New Year’s resolutions, make them small, concrete goals." Small, concrete goals. I can do that! Goals for 2012 include maintaining my weight loss, completing Relay Around Columbus, walking my first full marathon, and attending a racewalking clinic.
I am excited to see what 2012 brings. It can only keep going up from here!
What are your 2012 goals? Have you figured out what was the best event that happened to you in 2011?