Our dog Annie decided it was a good idea to break out of her cage on Friday afternoon and eat an entire bottle (albeit 6 pills) of Aleve. Thankfully the bottle was 40 count and not a larger size.
How was there a bottle of Aleve within her reach you may ask? Well, my mother-in-law had come in for the weekend and brought her bag of stuff with her. As she was leaving her house, she threw in a bottle of Aleve that was sitting on the counter thinking she may need it. It was on top of her bag which we left by the door. We never thought Annie would get out of her cage to get it so we just left everything where it was while we were gone for about 3 hours. We got home, Sandy found the bottle and I called the vet. Off to MedVet immediately. Thank God we were not gone longer.
They admitted her and said she would have to stay at least 48 hours. We had a choice of picking her up Saturday morning and transporting her back to our vet for care but we decided it was best to leave her where she was as MedVet is a little bit closer to home. I am sure it cost more but the Vet doesn't have the 24 hour care MedVet does and I was very comfortable with the doctor at MedVet. I was told all of the risks we were looking at - kidney damage, liver damage, ulcers in the stomach, perforations in her intestines, etc. Basically the medicine was 206 mg per kg of her weight. Given her age (10), there could have been a lot of damage. This doctor said she treats aggressively and she really has. Annie will come home in the morning and have a 10 day regime of medicines to take. There's a chance she will have lingering effects but we will have to play that by day.
We're so thankful to MedVet and thankful there is a facility like that here. Pet insurance? Hmmm, never had thought about it before but beginning to wonder if it is a good idea!